At PromptWorks we occasionally engage contractors when clients have needs that extend beyond our core areas of expertise, require more capacity that we have on staff, or require working arrangements that are a poor fit for our core team.
We are seeking to connect with experienced contractors for many areas, and primarily those who can work on-site with us or our clients in or around Philadelphia or New York City:
- Software Engineering (backend, front-end, mobile, databases, etc.)
- Data Science
- UX & UI design
- Quality assurance
- Branding, Marketing, Content & Writing
- Project management
- Product management & business consulting
We don’t always have needs in all these areas, but we like to connect with potential contractors ahead of time so we know who to reach out to when we have a need.
Skills & Experience
Every project & contact role requires different skills, but the common thread is that our contractors need to have deep knowledge and experience in their specialty. As a rule of thumb, our contractors should have at least 4 years of experience in the role they are filling for us. For any contract role at PromptWorks your responsibilities would include:
- Producing top quality work product for our clients and providing them with direction
- Working well in a small team and independently when necessary
- Potentially participating in daily stand up and weekly planning & retrospective meetings
- Taking ownership of our work-product
- Interfacing directly with our clients, gathering their needs and managing their expectations
- Architecting, estimating and planning solutions to problems
Location & time requirements
While every project is different, most will require:
- between 1 and 3 on-site visits per week to our our our clients’ office in Philadelphia, New York City
- between 20 and 30 hours per week All meetings happen between 9am and 5pm local time.
PromptWorks is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other difference.
Work with us
If you think you’d like to work with us now or in the future in a contracting role, we would love to connect and tell you about current & foreseeable projects.
Proud of our process
We take a lot of pride and care in how we employ Agile and XP practices. For example, our culture of pair programming starts all the way from how our projects get allocated, how our employee reviews are done, to how our office is laid out.
Clients' best interests
We allow our employees to spend part of their time sharpening their skills and walking further towards their professional aspirations. That culture of learning is embedded in everything we do ranging from our office space to our meeting formats to our employee expectations.
For example, we host 'Talk Tuesday,' where our employees give an informational talk at lunch every Tuesday. Topics range from new development tools to cinematography in old movies. On other days, you might hear us hosting design critiques, Game Lunch Wednesdays, Third Beer Thirty where we hack past our own tests, and so on.
We help each other grow professionally and empower others to take ownership of projects beyond our normal job scope. We balance that with having clear roles and hierarchy where necessary. For many, PromptWorks becomes a CTO school or a launching pad into management.
Journey to a diverse, inclusive company
We are building a culture where people of different backgrounds and skillsets can belong and thrive. We are at the beginning of a long journey to make our company a diverse and inclusive workplace. This shift is directly improving the quality of our work. We invite you to come as you are; bring your talents and eagerness to learn.
We train apprentices to foster interest in coding for young grads, women, or people of color. They 'pair' with one of our engineers for 3-5 months to learn coding, collaboration, and process skills necessary to be successful in the industry. This apprenticeship is paid and provides the chance to become a full time PromptWorks engineer.
Convening our community
We want to build a thriving and connected tech sector. Almost every week we help organize, host, or speak at a local tech meetup groups. It helps us learn from others and vice versa.
PromptWorks is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Top 5 perks our employees love:
- R&D time to learn new technologies, develop FOSS, community investment, etc.
- Partially-paid leave of absence, including parental leave
- Paid travel for speaking at & attending conferences
- Team-building lunches, happy hours, and outings
- Bike friendly office (shower and in-office bike parking)
- 401(k) plan with 4% company match
- 100% company-paid medical, dental insurance
- 50% insurance coverage for spouses and dependents
- Employer paid Short term and long term disability insurance
- Schedule flexibility and monthly work-from-home days
- Paid time off
- Flexible Spending Account for child and health care
- Commuter benefits & easy access to public transit
PromptWorks is in the heart of Center City Philadelphia at 12th & Chestnut. We are conveniently located with SEPTA Regional Rail, BSL, MFL, and PATCO.